Join the mailing list for a free download of over 400 links to public service career resources, and buy the book on Amazon.com or wherever books are sold.
Key Features and Benefits include:
- Details on careers in human and social services, health, education, civil rights, the environment, infrastructure, finance, international development and relations, security and law enforcement, religion, and the arts
- Advice for getting jobs in local, state, and federal government that cannot be found in any other resource.
- Engaging profiles of 26 professionals with some of the most interesting jobs you've ever heard of
- Salaries, job outlook, and career information on 60 different public service jobs ranging from social workers to park rangers, elected officials to policy analysts, fundraisers to advocacy staff, and urban planners to clergy
- Listings of more than 250 professional associations, job search sites, and books (join the mailing list to get these and 150 more!)
- Career exploration exercises to help you pinpoint the perfect career
- Sample resumes and cover letters with proven success in public service job search
- Worksheets and assessments to help readers discover their ideal public service career
- Specialized, in-depth job search tips for specific public service job searches, including the United Nations, CIA, State Department; and special tips for career-changers, students, veterans, and Americorps and Peace Corps volunteers
- Proven interview and networking tips
- Salary negotiation tips specific to public service careers
Rave reviews include:
"Reading this book is a smart step on the journey to both finding a fulfilling job and serving the nation." --Max Stier, CEO and President, Partnership for Public Service
"Finally, something really useful for non-profit jobs. I wish I'd written this book, but know I couldn't have done such a good job."
--Martin Yate CPC, NY Times bestseller, and author of Knock em Dead The Ultimate Job Search Guide
"Jobs That Matter: Find a Stable, Fulfilling Career in Public Service is a must-have resource for those pursuing a career in public service." --Antoinette A. Samuel, MPA CAE, Executive Director, American Society for Public Administration
"I officially pronounce this book AWESOME. All the tricks I wish I had when entering public service. Heather is the tour guide du jour in the world of public service. A must read!" --Steve Ressler, Founder of Govloop.com, the premier social network for government
"With a range of in-depth looks at career fields, profiles of current professionals, and useful resources, "Jobs That Matter" is full of tools and tips."
--Steve Joiner, Author, The Idealist Guide to Nonprofit Careers for Sector Switchers
"If you want to work for the public good, or advise people who do, BUY THIS BOOK"--Carol Anderson, Director, Career Development & Placement, Milano the New School for Management and Urban Policy
"As a college career specialist, I was very impressed with this book. I have recommended it and lent it to students and workers interested in having a career that makes a difference. Well organized, clearly written and lists many excellent resources."--Wendy Heyman, PhD, Arts & Science Coordinator, Baruch College Starr Career Development Center
A total of 35 people wrote career profiles of themselves or were interviewed for this book. However, we were only able to inlude 26 interviews in the book. For those interviews that were not included in the book, click here.